Jack Dorsey to Musk: A time of silence, not a slave of own words

Jack Dorsey to Musk: A time of silence, not a slave of own words

PEOPLE & OPINION | Jul 24, 2021 | WOZINGA NEWS

Jack Dorsey to Musk: A time of silence, not a slave of own words

  • Jack Dorsey chose to keep quiet rather than to speak when Musk persisted in asking him if Twitter would accept bitcoin for advertising payment
  • The appropriate manifestation of silence is a virtue if the situation demands it.

By Marielle Petere Wozinga Journalist

Jack Dorsey to Musk: A time of silence, not a slave of own words

Jack Dorsey was silent when Elon Musk asked him whether Twitter would accept Bitcoin payment from advertisers. With Dorsey’s response, did he exhibit the sign of respect, discretion, and discernment? 

Well, an appropriate response during the verbal exchange is necessary for that kind of situation. During “The ₿ Word” conference, Dorsey did not provide a clear answer. He was silent and just smiled. 

For Bitcoin enthusiasts, it became an interesting topic after the virtual panel. Musk’s query addressed to Dorsey seemed sensible yet sensitive.

₿ Word: Not Wood vs. Dorsey vs. Musk

Ark Invest CEO Cathie Wood, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, and Elon Musk appeared at “The ₿ Word” on July 21. With Steve Lee as the panel host, they discussed valid arguments about Bitcoin and the future cryptocurrencies. 

On top of that, the Crypto Council for Innovation hosted the conference. CCI is a worldwide association of crypto industries. It supports the cryptocurrency and blockchain ecosystem. 

According to its website, CCI intends to reveal the “transformational promise of crypto”. Paradigm, Square, Fidelity and Coinbase founded the alliance in April 2021.

Also, the alliance aims to provide helpful information about digital assets. It is for regulators, lawmakers, private institutions, and individual investors. 

However, speaking of Dorsey, he chose to keep quiet rather than to speak when Musk persisted in asking him if Twitter would accept bitcoin for advertising payment. It became undeniable that some were disappointed by his silence. 

Jack Dorsey: Speech is silver, silence is golden

Still, his silence was an effective strategy to maintain his credibility as the CEO of Twitter and pro-bitcoin entrepreneur. As a result, he did not cause conflict and misunderstanding to Musk nor Wood.

In addition, the appropriate manifestation of silence is a virtue if the situation demands it. As Thomas Carlyle once noted, “Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves together.”

Meanwhile, the University of Illinois Extension published an article about communicating under pressure. “Silence is helpful when emotions are strong,” the site discussed. Though it discussed coping strategies during tough financial times, it is another good component to point out. 

Forbes also mentioned, “Communication is about 7% of the words we say.” So, the rest 93% is for body language and tone. “Be aware of these things and control them when possible,” Forbes added.

Thus, communicating under pressure is also a trait of critical leadership. It involves the ability to think clearly, maintain composure, and face unpredicted situations tactfully. It indicates that it is better to be silent rather than be a slave of own words. 

Do you like how Jack Dorsey chose to keep quiet rather than to speak when Musk asked him?

Created with Perfect Survey

Statistics - View the results

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Open chat
Need Help?
Hell!
Can we help you?